Wood shutters are made from the lining, tongue-and-groove boards, or a special profile. Such products always look attractive and emphasize the unique architectural style of the building. The following types of wood are usually used:
Other rocks dry out quite strongly when exposed to ultraviolet radiation, and, on the contrary, swell with excessive moisture, which is why they are not used in the decoration of decorative window elements.
The advantages of wooden doors are obvious:
- the simplicity of design;
- performance of all basic functions of window shutters (anti-vandal, protection from wind and sunlight);
- attractive and aesthetic appearance.
However, the disadvantages must not be forgotten:
- wooden shutters cannot become a serious obstacle from robbers;
- like all-natural wood products, they are quite expensive.
Such products are made of stainless steel or galvanized steel.
They are classified into several types.
- Simple panel boards are good for giving, during the absence of the owners they are closed to protect the building from thieves.
- Paneled – represent a steel frame and several plates installed between its racks.
- Louver shutters – consist of a metal frame and lamellas fixed between its uprights. The lamellas are attached at an angle to the frame and can be movable or not. In the first case, their angle of inclination is easily adjustable, in the second, it remains unchanged.
Iron shutters can have an external or internal system of locks, most often they are equipped with safety locks from the inside, which allows not only to close the doors on both sides, but also to maximally protect the room from uninvited “guests”, and in addition, this design prevents the shutters from slamming under gusts wind. The pluses of metal doors include:
- reliable protection from intruders;
- ease of installation.
- high decorative effect.
However, there were some drawbacks:
- metal is distinguished by a high price, and both the shutters themselves and the work on their installation are expensive;
- over time, rust appears on metal structures, so products need to be regularly coated with varnishes, paints, and other protective compounds;
- the shutters are heavy, so more powerful fasteners are needed to secure them.
These products are made of aluminum and steel lamellas, less often they are made of plastic. Rollers are more often used in office, factory, and industrial buildings, as well as to protect retail outlets and warehouses; they are rather rare in residential buildings. Aluminum roller effectively protects from the wind, and in addition, they protect against vandals and the penetration of robbers. The lifting and lowering of such doors are carried out automatically through electric or manual mechanisms.
The advantages of mechanisms include:
- good protection against the penetration of excessive heat or cold;
- high efficiency against thieves and other external intrusions;
- relatively low price;
- ease of care;
- a wide range of colors.
Plastic looks like blinds and can be freely attached to any base (wood, brick, concrete). Among the advantages are:
- low cost;
- lightweight and compact dimensions;
- resistant to adverse weather conditions;
- no need for annual varnishing and painting;
- low maintenance and care costs;
- effective protection from wind and ultraviolet radiation;
Disadvantages of plastic doors:
- plastic shutters are not very durable, they are easy to break and break;
- low choice of colors and textures.
Separately, it is worth dwelling on such an option for shutters as internal. Such products are made very light and not particularly durable, since their main function is to protect from direct sunlight and outside views, in fact, they are an alternative that is used instead of curtains. Internal shutters are usually made of wood, plastic, plywood, or cardboard. The opening mechanism can be folding (accordion type), in the form of roller shutters and sliding along horizontal guides.
The principal advantage in comparison with blinds is the presence of a locking system, which forms some protection against the penetration of unauthorized persons. The shuttered mirror is also popular.
Style and design
Shutters are stylish elements of interior and exterior decor, allowing you to realize the most daring interior concepts.
Such shutters are most often installed on panoramic windows since traditional designs are not suitable for them – even the most ordinary accordion turns out to be too long. The pivoting design allows you to protect yourself from the sun and unkind glances, but at the same time maintain the view from the window.
An excellent solution for a building with large windows. Such doors are several panels that are assembled using the technique of wardrobes. The only drawback is that one of the rooms will always be sheltered from the sun.
The dream of a glasshouse can be realized using terrace shutters. The principle of operation here is simple: huge sashes close the panoramic window and, if necessary, fold-down, forming a terrace. And when closed, they turn the house into a box, securely sealed from burglars. The only difficulty with this design is the impossibility of climbing alone – in any case, you will need the physical help of friends and relatives.